In the year 2015, I went thru a panic attack.
I was in a state of insomnia for a whole 2 weeks and was just not able to sleep.
When I researched on this topic, I came to know the reason.
It was because I was not getting enough sleep.
I used to work late nights building my internet businesses, neglecting the most important aspect – myself.
The purpose of this post is to inspire you to set your life in order so that you have the most optimal lifestyle to build your internet business.
As I researched on this subject, I came across some really powerful stats and infographics which I thought would be appropriate for me to share based on my personal experience.
1. How Much Sleep Do You Need
The stats here show that adults need an average of 7-9 hours of sleep daily, to function properly.
Newborns, infants, toddlers & pre-schoolers need at least 10-15 hours of sleep daily.
As you get older, there’s a natural tendency to reduce the numbers of hours of sleep.
2. How Do You Really Sleep?
Now that you know the number of hours required, the next step is about understanding how you sleep.
Did you know that only 1 out of 10 people sleep right through the night without any interruptions?
And most of us are able to comfortably sleep only on our own beds, as compared to hotels.
In this infographic below, you’ll also learn about the various sleep positions and personality types.
3. Best & Worst Sleeping Positions
Your sleeping position can directly have an impact on your health & well-being.
If you’ve been experiencing neck pains, back pains, shoulder pains, hip pains or jaw pains, some of these positions will reveal the reason why.
Make sure that you have a look at the right positions and start changing your posture.
4. How Sleep Affects Your Brain
Deprived sleep has a direct effect on your brain. Below is an infographic on the different stages of sleep and how to catch up on any sleep debt.
5. The Dangers Of Sleep Deprivation
Sleep deprivation was one of the main reasons I went thru a panic attack in 2015. As I was studying more about this I came to know a few things.
- Sleep deprivation causes higher anxiety levels
- You also tend to go into depressions quickly
- There’s a high risk of hypertension
- You may also have a higher risk of injury
- Less sleep also increases chances of getting Diabetes
- This also leads to unhealthy cravings
- Sleep deprivation also increases chances of breast cancer and a stroke
Sleep deprivation messes around with your body clock.
6. Insane Facts About Sleep
Michael Jackson apparent went thru 60+ sleepless nights before he died.
Below are some quite interesting facts about sleep which you need to know.
8. The Importance Of Having Good Sleep
40% of US adults have a sleep deprivation. So having a good sound sleep daily is the key to optimal living.
- There’s a 32% reduction in alertness in those who’ve had 1.5hrs lesser sleep than usual
- 20% of all serious car accidents occur due to lack of sleep
- 559 additional calories are consumed usually the day after one has had less sleep
- Those who get less sleep have a 15% increased chance in getting chronic illnesses
9. Tips For Getting Better Sleep
Here are some tips on how you can improve your sleep patterns.
- Sleep and wake up at the same time daily – be consistent
- Reduce your daily caffeine intake
- Turn off your computer & television at least 30mins before you sleep
- Do not go to bed with a full stomach. Eat at least 3hrs before you go to bed.
- Do not go to bed empty stomach. Eat light foods only.
- Regular exercise helps you get better sleep.
- Limit beverage consumption before bed. Else you’ll have to run to the loo which disturbs sleep.
- Keep your bedroom dark & quiet at all times.
- Invest in a good mattress and pillow.
- Go to sleep and wake up using your internal alarm clock, instead of your mobile phone.
10. Bedroom Feng Shui Tips For Better Sleep
Feng Shui or Vedic Vaastu are methods to optimise your enviornment for better energies.
1. Get a full or queen size bed.
2. Create your command center.
3. Get a headboard – The headboard keeps you connected with your partner and stabilizes you in bed.
4. Keep underneath your bed clutter-free.
5. Take mirror placement to heart.
6. Invest in better bedding.
7. Decorate with relaxing colors – Earth tones, such as blue, green and brown, are best for the bedroom
8. Be selective with electronics in your room.
9. Enhance your space with plants and essential oils.
The whole purpose of putting together this article is so that you do not make the same mistakes that I did in 2015.
In order to build a successful internet business or live optimally, you’ve got to first fix this main piece of “getting good rest”.
Neglect your sleep, and this will affect all areas of your life, and you’ll end up spending more on healthcare than ever.
The reason I compiled this post is so that I can learn myself, and also help you live a better life.